Skull Sessions

Postby CoachBob » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:11 pm

Do you use them?
What age group?
Are they effective?
How long do you go?
Whole team or small groups?
Preseason only or all year?
Before, during, after, or completely separate from regular practice?
Tips to share?

I found this list on a website and am looking to expand it, wondering if you guys had any thoughts?

http://www.baseball-excellence.com/sbaseballforums/viewmessages.cfm?forum=1&topic=2189
Coaching Experience: 4 years travel coach, 2 yrs LL & Tournament, 3 yrs Rec Ball
Current Team: Asst Coach, 2014 Blue Jay's Elite 14u and
Plymouth HS Booster
CoachBob

Re: Skull Sessions

Postby CoachBob » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:57 pm

53 views, zero replies, either you guys are holding back or think I'm nuts asking....interesting
Coaching Experience: 4 years travel coach, 2 yrs LL & Tournament, 3 yrs Rec Ball
Plymouth HS Booster
CoachBob

Postby JPALMER25 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:55 pm

Well I had to go to the link you posted because I never heard the term skull sessions used. I do not use nothing formal or written out such as what I saw on the link, however I put my expectations of the players out there, what I want out of practice and what I want to see in games. Ive done this with every age group. I think if you communicate clearly all the time and in a constructive and positive manner during practice, the kids get it. Too much talk the kids will tune you out and so will the parents.
I dont think you have to have a special session in or during practice to get the message across. Just my thoughts if I understand what a skull session is now.
Jeff Palmer
JPALMER25

Postby skill133 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:39 pm

I'm kinda with Jpalmer on this. We basically will set the expectations during indoor training before the season begins. After practices and games during the season we'll have a short meeting with coaches and players to re-establish some expectations and maybe discuss what went right and wrong. But, too much talk and the kids just tune you out. I've seen this happen on many occasions, especially at the younger ages. I'd suggest if you have a skull session, you just focus on one topic at a time. Make it short, quick and to the point.
2014 - 14U Warriors Parent
2013 - 13U Troy Bulldogs Head Coach
2012 - 12U Troy Bulldogs Asst. Coach
2011 - 11U Troy Bulldogs Asst. Coach
2006-2010 - Troy Baseball Boosters Head Coach
skill133

Postby CoachBob » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:43 pm

Our skull sessions will be 10-15 minutes as a station during, before or after practices. We will cover everything from baseball strategies to goal setting to confidence and a plethora of other "life" skills with baseball as the foundation.

The goal is to not only teach baseball but life as well as emphasize academics.

Read an article yesterday that indicated college coaches will use GPA to make a first pass through a list of kids at a showcase to quickly narrow the pool of what kids they want to look harder at, regardless of their on field prowess.

As coaches we're very influential to these kids, I wish someone had told me that it not only took baseball ability but good grades to get into a college program. I might not have slacked off in HS....
Plymouth HS Booster
CoachBob

Postby CoachBob » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:52 pm

First session yesterday at practice....mixed reactions. Some of the kids were hanging on every word and some were drifting which I expected. I figure if at least half of them take this to heart it will be worth the 10 minutes of practice time. First session was on goal setting and gave the assignment of them setting 5-6 goals for their season, from baseball related, to team related, and academic related. We'll see what they come back with next week.
Plymouth HS Booster
CoachBob

Postby skill133 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:25 pm

Good luck. Let us know if they do their homework. :)

Interesting article on GPA's. GPA is definitely important, but I'm not buying the fact that coaches are going to entirely rule out a Stud if his GPA is lower.
skill133

Postby JPALMER25 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:08 pm

It was not so much the GPA back in the day as it was talent, but now a days with so much talent across the country and the opportunities that kids have to hone their skills its a very competative market for scholarships. One of the major reasons I believe college coaches look at GPA is they can divide the limited scholarships they have between their players. A player with a higher GPA can get academic scholarship as well as athletic. The less money used on the athletic side opens up more money to recruit more players. Why would a coach want to have to worry about keeping a kid with a 2.2 gpa academically elgible if he has one with a similar skill set down the road but has a 3.5 GPA. Remember, A college coach is looking for a reason to cross you off his list not a reason to keep you on it. I have seen college coaches come early to the ball park just to see how a player on his watch list shows up for the game and how he warms up. Never watched him play.
I remind my boys of that all the time that you never know who is watching as soon as you step out of your car at the ball park.
Jeff Palmer
JPALMER25

Postby skill133 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:25 pm

Good point on the academic scholarships. GPA is very important, and definitely gives a kid a leg up on their competition. I stress GPA to my son all the time and the fact that he's more likely to get an academic scholarship then an athletic scholarship! I'm just saying if the article is accurate and they indeed rule kids out based on GPA, the minute they see a stud throwing 90+ some of them may change their opinion. LOL
skill133

Postby JPALMER25 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:55 pm

Boy oh boy had to post again because of something in the news today on this very subject.. Im sure you all have heard about the football player dropped by colleges due to twitter posts. See I told you, colleges are looking to cross you off their list. Here was a top 10 prospect in the country top 3 at his postion and one of the best schools in the country (University of Michigan) was the fist school to drop him. Of course other schools will recruit him due to his talent and he will land somewhere, but it should be a wake up call to all young athletes and it supports what the discussion was here.

I hope eveyones winter training is going well. Cant wait to start playing.
Jeff Palmer
JPALMER25

Next

Return to General